About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Little About Me

When I wrote my profile for this blog I paid attention to the order I put down Navy wife, mother, and then writer. I've made this conscious decision when describing myself in other places as well. I don't know if it's because I'm me (a deep thinker, decently in touch with my inner self) that I put the roles that have others depending on me first, or if it's because they depend on me and I put myself last. It's something to think about.

And thinker should probably be first on my list of labels.

But as it's written now, my roles as Navy wife and mother are among my most important. But they don't stand alone. If Annie isn't nurtured someplace in the mix than I'm not going to be able to be the wife and mother I strive to be. What's that saying about a tangled web? This tangle is based not on lies, though. But on truths, priorities, and love.

So, now that that's cleared up...what about Annie? What words describe me? Back in the day "unique" was frequently used. I used to dress in my Grandmother's hand-me-downs. I didn't wear them because they were all that was available to me, but because I liked the styles and colors. And I loved that they were hers. I had a favorite dress in college we fondly called "the oil spill dress." It wasn't one of Grandmas, but I loved it! It was fake velvet and colorful. I also wore my slippers to class and the grocery store. I frequently fashioned scarves into dickeys to be worn under sweaters. I certainly had my own fashion sense.

I've realized over the past few years that my creative style was just the beginning. I like things that are different. I like to take something and make something else from it. My medium used to be clothing, and might be again some day, but has also been paint on walls, pencil to paper, and currently fingers to keyboard!

When I was at 4H camp each summer we used to play an ice-breaking game where we had to introduce ourselves using an adjective that began with the same letter as our name. I always cleverly said, "Hello. I'm all of the above Annie." I think it still fits, don't you?

Unique. Creative. Clever. Mother. Wife. Colorful. Nurturer. Thoughtful. Me.

No comments: