About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Because I Can

A few weeks ago I realized that I carry Tyler from the van to the store quite a bit. I didn't remember doing that with the other two. After I thought about it a little, I realized that that's because I didn't! Jace was 2 years and 2 weeks when his little sister was born.
And Gracie was 2 1/2 years old when Tyler came along.

Anyone who's been pregnant, or watched a pregnant woman waddle, knows that those last few months of incubation aren't the best for carrying around 20 pounds of wiggling toddler. Scott and I have raised pretty independent children, anyhow. Between their do-it-myself attitude and my inability to even tie my shoes...I'm sure both Jace and Gracie were walking through the parking lot and into the store on their own (well, next to me, holding my hand) by the time they were two.

I was sharing this realization with a friend and she commented that I probably just baby Tyler more because he's my baby...and always will be. He is the youngest, that's true. But I don't think I baby him more. I think I cuddle him more at this age, because I can...physically. But I cuddle all my kids whenever they let me. And if holding them close is babying them...well, then, I baby them all.

Jace still enjoys his cuddle time with me and if he goes a few days without it he'll remind me that he needs a turn on the couch with me. I even mentioned to him one time that some day he would think he was too big to cuddle with me. The disbelieving look on his face was priceless. "Ut-uh. I'll always cuddle with you." I told him I'd remind him of that some day.

So, call it what you may...but I'm going to love my monkeys with hugs, kisses, and cuddles for as long as they'll let me. Because I can.

No comments: