About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Plan C

I'm a planner. My husband is a planner. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. But we're planners. Our kids will likely rebel and drive us crazy with their spontaneity. I can only imagine their teenage years...hair brained ideas, impromptu gatherings, hearing "sorry about the short notice, mom" over and over again. Oy vey! Luckily, I have a few years before I have teens...but I think they're breaking me in slowly. It seems that every time I have the day set out before us...they change my plans in the way that only kids can.

There have been exploding diapers when I'm ready to walk out the door. Two day trips have turned into three day trips all because somebody couldn't keep down breakfast...all day long. And just yesterday, while sitting at the bus stop in a nicely air-conditioned car, Gracie announces, "Mama, I have to pee!"

If you've ever potty-trained you know that while training, and in those uncertain months following, when the statement is made the clock is ticking to find a potty, or at least a tree for cover. There was no overgrowth around and if we went back to the house, only a minute away, we'd surely miss the bus. On the other hand, if we waited for the bus, we'd likely have an accident on our hands. Neither option seemed like a good one. Plan C was born. We went a little further down the bus route to a friend's house to use their bathroom.

If we made it in time, someone was home, the bus driver noticed my car in their driveway and let Jace off, then everything would turn out fine. If. Lucky for us, my off the cuff plan worked out. No accidents. All three kids safe and sound with me. Everything was fine, except now we were at a friend's house instead of at home. Of course the kids wanted to play a little, so we did and got home in time to start dinner. My plans for the afternoon and evening were out the window!

I'm OK though. I'm learning that sometimes half-baked ideas born of necessity are just as good as plans I've thought through and tweaked to my liking. It's all about re-evaluation based on new and pertinent information, like "I've got to pee!" After all, the laundry will be there tomorrow, right?

No comments: