About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

It Might Make You Feel Better

Lately I've been reminded frequently of a record (yes, a record) we had growing up that I listened to almost daily. It was by Marlo Thomas and taught all sorts of wonderful life lessons. One of my favorite songs was "It's All Right To Cry." I'm sure this doesn't surprise any of you that know me...crying is something I rather enjoy. Sometimes I'll catch the end of Last of the Mohicans on TV just so I can shed a tear. Scott thinks I'm a little weird, and maybe he's right, but it feels good to cleanse my emotions.

I don't know why crying gets such a bad wrap. I mean, I don't promote weeping for no reason, but if you feel something...feel it. I was watching the finale of The Bachelor (I know, shame on me) and both of the final two girls were crying to the beau they were vying for, and apologized for it. "I'm so sorry...I don't know why I'm crying." Seriously? You're crying because the whole situation (of getting to know someone, finding you really like him, and facing the idea that he might like someone else more) hurts.

I was talking to a close friend the other day, who's making some very difficult decisions right now. She started crying and apologized to me. There's no need. The song says

"It's all right to cry. Crying gets the bad out of you.
It's all right to cry. It might make you feel better."

1 comment:

Mary Teresa said...

I loved that record. That one and the christmas one. they were my favorites.