About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pizza...The Primal Way

Which pizza do you want a big ol' bite of?


They all look quite delicious, don't they? Equally yummy I might even say. But, let me tell you...the one on the top rack is totally superior. The toppings are similar on all of them, except the kids have no veggies and mine has lots. The crust on the top pizza contains no flour, though. It's a Primal-esque crust.

There are other versions out there containing zucchini or cauliflower, but I'm pretty sure that's not the place to start with my family. When I came across Oopsie Pizza I decided to give it a try. Gracie wanted to make pizza for her meal this week and there's no time like the present to get started with something new and better for you...so we made Oopsie Pizza too!

Here's the recipe (the above link takes you there too, but I know some of you don't venture too far into the world wide web) direct from Diana Renata's blog:

Ingredients:
3 eggs, separated
3 ounces cream cheese
1/4 cup dry, grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
Your favorite pizza toppings.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Separate your eggs into two bowls. Add to your whites the cream of tartar, and whip until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Add to your yolks the cream cheese (do not soften,) Parmesan cheese, garlic powder and onion powder.
4. Beat until thoroughly blended. Fold your yolk mixture into your whites carefully. If you're using the same mixer, whip your whites first.
5. When all ingredients are folded together, spread mixture evenly onto a greased pizza pan. Bake for 20-30 minutes until firm and lightly golden.
6. Now, add your pizza sauce and toppings. Return to the oven and set to broil until all of your toppings are toasty and the cheese is melted.

This is what the crust looked like before the initial baking.


After the 20-30 minutes of baking just the crust I took it out and turned the oven up to 400 degrees for my other pizzas. I put my toppings on the Oopsie Pizza and then stuck it back in to bake with the others, rather than broiling it. It worked well and everything was done at the same time.

My crust was a little thicker than I expected, but my pan is only a 12 inch pan. Next time I'm going to try making it thinner. It came out of the pan well, but didn't stay together when picked up. Diana said that hers did and when I asked her pan is larger, so I think thinner is the way to go.

As for taste...delicious! I think I prefer it to a doughy crust. And I know my insides do. And how did the family like it? Well, Scott politely declined trying it. Tyler ate it. Gracie didn't like it. And Jace asked for seconds...of Oopsie Pizza not the flour crust old version!


Give it a try...you'll be pleasantly surprised. I promise.

No comments: