About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Friday, January 7, 2011

A Few Little Stories...

I haven't updated you lately on the kids.  So, I thought I'd give you a few glimpses into our life lately. 

Jace was reading a book he got for Christmas that tells how kids have played a part in history (Kids Make History: A New Look at America's Story, but Susan Buckley and Elspeth Leacock).  He asked me if I remembered anything about September 11, 2001.  Earlier he had asked if I remember 1963, but I set him straight.  I don't remember the dinosaurs either.  Anyway, I told him about my day on 9/11.  The short version is that I woke up here in Washington and turned the television on to news coverage of the towers going down.  I knew Scott would be busy at work and figured we were far enough from everything that life as usual would be going on.  So, I went to school.  I was in grad school at the time.  In our classes there we discussed all sorts of issues around the attacks and our feelings and fears.  Then, on my way home, Scott called and we went out to dinner and called our families to tell them we were OK.  We hadn't gone straight home because we lived on base and the lines to get on the base were crazy long.  After I shared my memories Gracie commented, "That was a long day!"

I replied that it was, "But, there were many people who had even longer days - wondering where their loved ones were or helping to search the ruins of the buildings."

Jace didn't skip a beat, "Yeah, but it was a really short day for the people that died.  The first plane hit the tower at 8:46 am."

Of course, he was right.

******

A friend off the boat was over last night and Gracie asked her, "Did you know my mom and dad have only been married for a decade?" 

My friend said, "Really?  Only a decade, huh?"

******

Tyler's talking more and more.  I'm understanding him less and less.  If he says just one sentence I can usually figure it out, most times.  But when he goes on and on, which he sometimes does when he's really excited about something, I just stare at him blankly.  When I do that though he gets a little exasperated with me.  He'll sigh heavily and shout, "Mama!  Listen me."  I'm pretty sure if he could snap his fingers he would.  Once he's gotten the glazed over look out of my eyes he'll start talking again.  "K.  Jay an Seesee play downstair with lo.  Day play with my Buzz Light lo and me want play.  Me go downstair play lo.  You play lo me?"  (Translation:  "Jace and Gracie are playing downstairs with Legos.  They're playing with my Buzz Lightyear Legos and I want to play.  I'm going downstairs to play with my Legos.  Do you want to play with me?"  And that was an easy one!) 

I've got some paperwork to fill out to get Tyler an IEP and an evaluation to see if he needs more speech therapy.  I'll keep you posted.

******

I feel like there are more stories to share, but I'm tired and need some beauty sleep, which is more for a pretty mood in the morning than anything else, but it's still vitally important! 

The kids are good...they're funny as ever and when not driving me nuts, keep my smiling. 

No comments: