About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Friday, September 4, 2009

Driving Directions

I do a lot of driving. I spend at least two hours on the road every day. That's plenty of time to find things to correct in other people's driving abilities. Between being the kids' school bus and running errands I also have a few things to say about parking. So, here's a list of things that everyone needs to know when behind the wheel.

-- If you're going 40 mph in a 55 mph zone, do not speed up when getting passed
-- If you were just going 40 mph in a 55 mph zone, don't try to make up for it by driving 55 mph in a 40 mph zone.
-- Yes, that stop sign was meant for you too.
-- Semis take longer to speed up and slow down. Give them the space and respect they deserve.
-- Drive slowly in parking lots. WalMart is not the place to test your 0 to 60 time.
-- When dropping your child off in the two lane drop off zone, do not park in both lanes.
-- If you're going to be inside the school for longer than hugs, kisses, and singing your child in, don't park in the drop off zone. Park in the parking lot or on the street so others are not stuck behind you.
-- In my opinion, there is no good reason to leave one child in the car while you go inside a store or school. I've been tempted. I've never done it. I don't care if they're not old enough to open the door. I don't care if you locked the car. I don't think it's a good idea and I pray you never find out why. And, if you do choose to leave your baby in the car when you're dropping your child off at school, please do not act panicked and in a hurry to get back to them. If you're that worried, don't leave them in the first place.
-- Using your turn signal allows other drivers to know which direction you're going at a 4-way stop. That's helpful information.
-- Speaking of 4-way stops, if you stop first, you get to go first. I appreciate your thoughtfulness in waving me on, but I can wait those few seconds to let you go. Really.

Hopefully this little guide will speak to those who need to hear it. The bottom line is...just get out of my way when I'm on the road, in a parking lot, or dropping my kids off. That's not to much to ask, right?

No comments: