About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentine's Day

Is it a Hallmark holiday?  Is it a day of great romance?  Is it really about love or about getting things? 

I dare say it's all of that and more, depending on who you ask and when.  Valentine's Day brings a number of things to mind for me.  One of my absolute favorite memories of Valentine's is the cards I used to get from Grandma Kral.  They looked kind of like these:


Picture from Wholesale Accessory Market


I got them every year, even when I was in college.  And they always had the little sucker shaped like a heart.  I remember one year in high school thinking this was a little silly, but then quickly dismissed that notion.  It was lovely.

Grandma's been gone for a few years now, but I still think about those cards.  I still think about a lot of memories she left me. 

Scott and I don't do too much for this particular holiday.  We do usually each get a card, but since our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife, when I bought him a turkey fryer, there seems to be no gift worth giving! 

This Valentine's Day, however, is one of those days that he and I aren't together.  We won't be giving cards or gifts or even hugs and kisses.  That's the life we chose.  It's understood and OK.

Even though Scott and I don't do it up big for Valentine's, I do like the joy and excitement and chocolate that come with it.  So the kids and I make it special.  They get a little something from their grandparents like I did from mine.  And they love that!  Plus we do a little something, but not too outrageous.  Last year we made handmade cards for their classmates.  This year we sent Mad Lib valentines notes to the grandmas and grandpas.  And tomorrow, in homeschool, we're going to have a little more fun with this unique holiday. 

And, in case you're interested in some of my past posts on the subject (at least loosely based around Valentine's Day), check out this link:  Valentine's-ish Posts.

So, I hope no matter what you're up to tomorrow and who you have to share it with...I hope you feel loved and special.  I hope you laugh a little, eat something sweet, and have a happy day.

1 comment:

Morgan said...

My mom always made each holiday a little special, so I like to do the same thing, even if it is a "hallmark holiday."

The best part is definitely the chocolate! :)