About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Thursday, July 29, 2010

Our House

I wrote my post title and totally started singing the song in my head. "Our house...is a very, very, very fine house (fine house)."


I digress...


What I was going to do was fill you in on how we're settling into our house, now that we've been here about a month. We're settling pretty well. There are two main things I'm still having issues with, though.


1) Our master bathroom.


There it is. I've gotten used to the size. I don't mind so much that it doesn't have the huge amount of storage that our last home had. I'm currently not bothered by the lack of a tub. When Scott is out to sea that might be a different story...it's sometimes nice to relax in a hot bath with an adult beverage. I'm not sure how that'll work in the kid's bathroom, but that's my option so I'll work with it then.

Anyway, there are shortcomings to this bathroom that I'm willing to look past. I even thought I'd finally learned how to get in and out of the shower without hitting my head on the top of the shower door. Two days in a row now I've managed that feat! Hold your applause though. Getting out of the shower today I scraped my shoulder and then sitting on the toilet this afternoon I hit my head on the towel rack across from it.

I believe, though, that I'll eventually stop hurting myself in the bathroom. It just may take a few more months to get there...

2) The kitchen...



I actually like our kitchen, mostly. The two things I don't like about it are the corner of the cupboard over the peninsula and the inefficient stove fan.

The peninsula counter was covered with all sorts of tools, mail, stuff we didn't know what to do with for a few weeks. Last week, though, we had some friends over and I cleaned up. Almost immediately I hit my head. (I know. I'll never be able to shave my head.) I would like to keep it clean, however I'm torn by the fact that I keep trying to lean across it for one thing or another...and hitting my head some more! Ug.

As for the fan, it's right above the stove. Seems like that would be a good place to put a fan that's meant to pull up the steam and smoke and what not that's created while cooking. Maybe, if the fan did it's job, that would be enough. Ours doesn't.

I make bacon almost daily. And the attitude in our house has turned to this: "Great. It's time for breakfast. OK. The sooner we set off the smoke alarm the sooner it'll stop." That's what Jace said this morning. He's so encouraging.

I didn't make bacon this morning. On the mornings I do, though, I've begun opening the kitchen window that's above the sink and the sliding glass door in the dining room.



I'd say half the time that's enough, but the rest of the time it still chirps and squawks and hurts our ears. The kids run and open the living room windows and the front door. I finish making breakfast and then we eat without talking until the blaring noise stops, at which point we all sigh. Not exactly the ideal morning routine.

But, aside from these few things, the house is treating us well. Scott and the land lord put up a shed in the back yard and he's working on organizing that and the garage to his satisfaction. During homeschool we're making use of the classroom, and enjoying it. The kids like to play both in their rooms and in the playroom downstairs. They usually only play outside when it involves going down the road to play with their friends, but that's starting to change as well. I just kicked Jace and Gracie out and they're playing Mom and Dad (they're version of Playing House, I think) and enjoying themselves.

Things are fine in our house. Not perfect, but very, very, very fine.

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Oh-oh, now I have that song in my head. ;)

Staci said...

OK - I have two suggestions.

1- See if your landlord will let you remove the shower door. Then get a tension shower curtain rod and hang it high enough that you can step underneath it without bonking your head. On second thought that may not work since there isn't a tub base to keep the water from splashing out. Hmm...

2 - have you ever baked your bacon? I LOVE this! I line a rimmed cookie sheet/jelly roll pan with parchment. Place bacon strips adjacent to each other and flat on the parchment. Bake at 400 until the bacon is crispy. I like to turn it over about half way through. You'll have to try it once to see how long it takes. We've been doing link sausages this way, and I love that too. If you let the drippings cool, most of them pull out with the parchment, and you just toss them.

Annie said...

Staci...thanks for the thoughts. I have tried baking my bacon and didn't like it as much, but it was at a lower temp for a long time...I'll have to try it at the higher temp and see how that goes! Thanks.

As for the shower...I'll eventually learn! lol

Joelle said...

You have a lovely home. I come over from the blog hop. It is nice to meet you.