About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Birthday Buys, Bags, and Baking

My 32nd birthday was almost a month ago. Some very generous loved ones gave me some money to spend on myself. This week I went out and enjoyed a little me time and bought myself something new and fun.



OK, a few somethings. Honestly I went looking for a bra, but after trying many on I decided to give up on that quest and see what else the mall had to offer. I got this fun and incredibly comfortable dress and the cute sweater to go with it. The purse is also a new purchase and one that's been a long time coming. Here's a close up of it:

I've been looking for a new purse for probably six months. I wanted one a little bigger than the last one I had with at least one small pocket on the outside and a long strap so I can wear it across my body, as I am in the picture. I didn't think that would be too much to ask for. I was also hoping for a bold color, but not orange, and I didn't want to sell any of my kids to afford it.
I found a few that I liked but none that I loved. This one fit the bill and I'm really enjoying it. It's nice to get something new. I still have some money left and I'm planning on getting a massage in a few weeks. I need to get our medical insurance switched to the region we now live in, see a chiropractor, and then I'll be signing up to lay on some one's table and get pampered. Aaahhh...
Oh, yeah...back to the post. Bags. I have several canvas bags that I use for grocery shopping. I never remember to take them with me to other stores, though. When I run to the mall or WalMart I end up coming home with more plastic bags that I don't need. Well, when my brother-in-law got married last month I got a few of these handy little berry bags.
Aren't they cute? And they unfold into this:
I know...it's easy, fun, and handy! So, now I have a few berries tucked into my glove compartment for easy picking when I get to Target, or wherever, and remember that I forgot bags from home. Love it!
And now...baking. We had a little get together last night. A few friends came over for burgers and dogs. I made cookies. The white kind are very slightly orange flavored, and I even doubled the orange peel called for. Tasty, though.

The chocolate ones have bacon in them! We all agreed that they were good, but thought the bacon didn't add too much to them. As chocolate cookies go, though...I'd bake them again. But not for a while!

Scott and I have been feeling pretty good about how we're eating and our activity levels and goals. Last night might have set me back a little. Getting back on track today and staying there...until the next friendly gathering!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Seriously? Chocolate and bacon? That is something that I honestly would NEVER put together. Not even when I was pregnant. I'll take your word for it on the flavor.

Glad someone out there is more culinarily adventurous than I am!

I love your purse (although I'm curious about why you wouldn't want orange).

Annie said...

why wouldn't I want orange? good question...no real reason. I was actually looking for something more sophisticated and really liked red and teal (not together, but either/or) but then I found this one. Perhaps not so sophisticated after all, but totally me! :-)