About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Sunday, April 3, 2011

April Update on 2011 Motto: be

Can you believe it's April?  Every year I find myself saying more and more often how quickly the months pass.  I guess that's probably part of growing up and getting older.  But I don't even realize half the time that I am growing up and getting older.  Things sneak up on me.  If it weren't for the constant reminder that Jace will be eight years old this spring I would be quite shocked by that fact too!  I guess time really does fly!

The focus should be, I guess, on what I'm doing with my time, then, right?  I mean I can't slow it down.  Even though sometimes I'd really like to.  I imagine a big ol' hand break that I force back with every ounce of my energy just so I can sit for a second and catch my breath.  But that's not going to happen.  So, how do I catch my breath?  How do I spend my time?  Am I living in the spirit of my 2011 motto

(If you don't want to go back and read that post, here's the short version...rather than make a resolution or set a goal for 2011 I gave myself a word to keep in mind throughout the year.  My word is be.  I added that I'd specifically like to be intentional and be present.)

I'd like to say that I am.  I'm not perfectly being anything.  (So thank goodness that wasn't what I wanted to live up to!)  But I am being. 

I'm being a wife.  Scott and I have had some great conversations, enjoyed time together, and are planning a night away later this month.

I'm being a mother.  I've taken the kids to the movies and watched some at home with them, without my computer in my lap.  (This is key to my being present and intentional.  I tend to half pay attention while clicking away on the keyboard.  I don't want to do that, so I'm not!)  We've done puzzles, read books, gone for walks, cooked together.  I've taken time with each of them to do something small one-on-one. 

I'm being a friend.  I've gathered friends for game night and arranged meetings with others.  This is an area that I let slide more than I'd like to admit, but I'm working on improving and feel like progress is being made. 

I'm being several other things too.  There's never a lack of places to be in, is there?  I'm enjoying things, though.  I'm enjoying focusing on one task at a time.  I like homeschooling with the TV off.  I like typing this blog while Tyler's napping and the other two are outside playing.  It's not always being intentional and present in only what I'm doing now, but I feel great about it when I'm able to do it.  I feel productive and content. 

How are you all doing in your 2011?  Did you make resolutions?  Mottos?  Goals?  Have you revisited them?  I hope everyone's April is off to a wonderful start and that you're all able to be what you want to be.

No comments: