About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What is PC anyway?

I'm the first to admit that I'm not hop on what the current trends are...in fashion, language, or many other areas of life. I don't know what's politically correct to say and I just always try not to be offensive, even though I know that's impossible...people are offended even by sweet lil me!

I started wondering about it today though. Gracie (who's 3 for another week) said someone was fat and Jace (a graduate of Kindergarten) told her that wasn't nice. He's right, but why? It's true?

Then, later Gracie and I were talking about Uncle Jason, my brother. She asked why he can't talk and I said he was handicapped...wondering if that was the right terminology to teach her. Turns out...it was definitely the humorous choice.

"How did Uncle Jason get capped?"

I know...funny isn't it?

But as soon as I stifled my giggle and repeated "handicapped" I wondered if it was OK to laugh at that unintended play on words. Is it?

All this PC crap has me way too touchy!

No comments: