About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Friday, July 15, 2011

My Life in Acronyms

Every profession has shorthand of one sort or another.  Some are quite easily recognized, like Rx.  Others leave you puzzling for just a little bit, until that light bulb goes off!  Well, my professions have several acronyms that I didn't used to know or that used to mean something else to me.  I have to admit that I feel a little sense of pride when I recognize a new one, or better yet...use it in a sentence! 


My new role as Ombudsman has made me even more familiar with Navy terms that I've been picking up over the past 14 years.  The most obvious example is OPSEC, which stands for Operational Security and  means keeping information out of the hands of people who would use it to harm us.  It's a term that everyone in the military knows and one of the first ones they teach those of that become part of their inner circle of trust.  Military wives, parents, anyone a soldier or sailor gives information to has to learn the importance of not giving that information to others.  So, it's not new to me.  But I'm much more intimately aware of the ins and outs of it now that I'm stalking people (not really, but that's what they say about me on the boat!) on Facebook (FB) and politely requesting that they don't even tiptoe into grey areas.  It's a big part of my life now!

A bigger part of my life, although not as time consuming, is our primal blueprint way of life.   For over a year now we've been becoming more and more clean and healthy in our eating habits.  Moving from a SAD way of eating (Standard American Diet) means getting rid of gluten, most sugar, a lot of dairy, and even legumes.  Legumes might not seem like such a big deal to some of you, but my husband once wooed me by telling me we went together like peanut butter and chocolate.  Peanuts are a legume.  And PB now stands for Primal Blueprint.  Pretty tricky, isn't it.

And totally cool! 

And, I've added a new element to my already busy life.  I've been wanting to find a way to workout that works in that already busy life and I finally have.  I've joined Boot Camp Divas - BCD to those in the know!  I've only been to two classes, but I think it's going to be a great thing for me!  The atmosphere is not so supportive and uplifting.  I'm ready and willing to get to work and add even more healthy habits to our lives.  So, in fact, I think it's going to be a great thing for all of us. 

So, to sum it up...I volunteered to track OPSEC on FB.  We've traded in the SAD for PB by giving up PB.  And joining BCD could turn me into OHM.  (That's one hot mama!)

1 comment:

Domestic Diva said...

That was a super fun post. SFP should be a new acronym. I think it's great you remind us to be careful on FB, this is only my third patrol and there were things I didn't know I wasn't supposed to do, that I know now. It's a constant learning experience and it's nice to have a friendly stalker who's just looking out for everyone's best interest :) Boot camp diva's sounds like fun! I'll have to get more info on that from you, I need to workout. I'm too sedentary.