About Me

My photo
Like all of you, I'm a number of things to a number of people...Navy wife, homeschooling mama, educated woman and aspiring writer. Read my thoughts on all of it here. Please feel free to leave your thoughts on all of it too!

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Problem With Moving

First of all, I don't mean moving as in packing up and loading the truck. I don't want anyone getting all excited and hurting themselves by jumping around and bouncing into something. Ouch! That wouldn't be good. The movement I'm referring to is activity, exercise, you know...doing stuff.



That said, I've been moving more over the last week than in weeks (or months) previous. It's all part of becoming more primal. I'm walking almost daily, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time and something has clicked, finally, and I'm up doing it. I'm lifting heavy things, at this point mostly my kids and my own body weight, but that totally counts. You try lifting wiggly giggly kids...you'll see. I'm sprinting. I've actually only done that once, but I've only been at this a week, that's all I need to have done it. Pretty cool, huh? I'm playing and laughing. We've exhausted all the hiding spots in the house and need to move our game outside. We've chased each other around the woods and all of it feels good. I'm definitely moving.

But the problem with moving is that it makes you want to move more. I want to go for more walks, longer ones. I want to ride my bike. I want to use all this new found energy...but it's not always possible. I have two hours in the car every day. I have grocery shopping, meal prep, laundry...which have even become forms of movement for me, but aren't the luxurious long walks I'd like.

Even when I have time to take a walk, Mother Nature seems not to be cooperating. It's chilly here. Granted, it's not New York cold, but our highs have barely been in the 50's. I didn't get Tyler a whole winter getup because it's usually cold for a few weeks and by now the trees are starting to bud. Not this year. And I can't take Tyler out in the stroller or bike trailer on days like this. I have tried, but his little hands get so cold, even on short trips. So, I'll wait a week or two before moving even more...maybe by then I won't be sore from yesterday's HIIT workout. (That's another thing I'm doing. It stands for High Intensity Interval Training. I think there are lots of ways to do it, but what I did yesterday was continuous reps of 10 each of narrow push ups, wide push ups, crunches, oblique crunches, extended sit ups ups, squat thrusts, squat jumps, leg lifts, lunges ,and dips. Even peeling sweet potatoes last night hurt! But I can feel everything I worked even more today!)

Whether the weather or my soreness are the reason, today I'm taking it easy, even though I want to move more. And that's the problem with moving.

No comments: